Saturday, June 02, 2007

swabbing the decks

I saw an older man outside moping his driveway today. It seemed unusual at the time but in hindsight he made it seem like he'd done it a thousand times before, so it was as natural as can be. The man was wearing a bright yellow shirt with blue shorts. He looked like he could have been a sailor, swabbing the decks on a ship. I thought for sure he must have served in the Navy.

I walked over to him and introduced myself. He put down his mop and said, "Hello". We started talking and I learned his name was Keith. He made it clear early on that he wasn't interested in a security system but we had a good conversation going so I kept talking. As it would so happen Keith is in his 70s and served over twenty years in the Navy. Maybe he'd had some experiencing swabbing the decks? I didn't ask. Keith was out there moping the driveway because of the tire marks left there by people using his driveway to turn their cars around. I guess he'd been out many times before doing the same thing. It didn't bother him any.

Keith told me his life philosophy was to get up and keep going. He told that for 17 years he ran everyday, without fail. Right now he is into bicycling and gets up every morning around 4am, has breakfast and gets on his bike. He told me he rides 50 miles everyday. Like anyone in their 70s he said he has pains. But from about 4 in the morning until 4 at night he claimed he doesn't have those pains because he stays active. He commented that doctors say there is no medicine around that has the same effect as the endorphins our body's produce. Exercise releasing those endorphins and his pains go away during the day. By staying active, being conscious of what he does and eating well Keith is enjoying life. By comparison, think of some elderly people you may be accustomed to seeing from to time. You know, the older people you see that make you think "Goodness, I don't want to get old. That doesn't look at all fun." There is a important lesson we should all take to heart -- take care of yourself in life or life will take care of you. Ha.

No comments: