In the summer of 1877 prospector Ed Schieffelin began working the hills east of the San Pedro River in the southeast portion of the Arizona Territory, when he came across a vein of very rich silver ore in a high plateau called Goose Flats. When Schieffelin filed his mining claim, he ironically named it the "Tombstone". Before prospecting in the area Schieffelin had been told the only type of rock he was likely to find out there among the waterless hills and warring Apaches of the area, would be his tombstone.
The town of Tombstone was founded in 1879, taking its name from the mining claim, and soon became a boomtown. Fueled by mine wealth the city grew rapidly. By the beginning of 1881 Tombstone was a city of 1000. Within another year Tombstone became the county seat of Cochise County with a population between 5,000 and 15,000 (more than San Francisco at that time).
After the silver mines went bust Tombstone nearly became a ghost town. Today the town survives mostly on tourism and selling western memorabilia. Nearly half a million people visit Tombstone ever year. There are many attractions to see and it is a fun place to spend a day.
While I was in Tombstone today I started off by visiting several of the many gift shops and stores along historic Allen Street. There are many shops along Allen Street which have Tombstone themed souvenirs, western hats and clothing, antiques, books and jewelry. I bought myself a good looking straw hat at one of the shops. Before deciding on it I probably tried on more than two dozen other hats. The owner of the shop was invaluable and helped me find the right one. Buying a hat right off proved to be a smart decision because I spent so much time outside today.
After getting lunch I saw a re-enactment of the OK-Corral gun fight. Actors playing Wyatt Earp, Morgan Earp, Virgil Earp, and Doc Holliday argued with a group of trouble making Cow-boys. Harsh words led to guns being drawn and three men were shot dead. The re-enactment was a lot of fun and I managed to get a few good photos.
Later on I visited the historic Bird Cage Theater. Although many of the original buildings in Tombstone were destroyed by fires over the years, the Theater was spared. During the 1880s the Bird Cage Theater was used not only as a theater, but also served as a saloon, gambling hall and brothel. The Theater is now a museum and features an interesting collection of historical artifacts and photographs. Among the collection are a horse-drawn hearse, a mounted Buffalo head, antique tools and guns, and old liquor bottles.
The Bird Cage Theater is believed to be haunted. While I was there I met a man who told me about some of the paranormal activity he's experienced there. He said they have recorded pictures of ghosts and heard voices. He went on to mention that one night they locked themselves in the Bird Cage Theater and that it was the creepiest experience he's ever had.
Downstairs at the theater, below the main floor, there is a room where a high stakes poker game, with a buy-in of $1000, was regularly played. Rooms off of the poker room were used by ladies of the brothel to entertain their gentleman guests. These rooms have been preserved and feature historic furniture, clothing and personal items.
Leaving the Birdcage theater I went to the OK-Corral and bought a ticket to see the next show . With some time left before the show, I went off to see the Boot Hill Graveyard down the street. I didn't find the graveyard very interesting so I didn't stay long. Instead I went to find something else to see. I ended up at the home of the world's largest rosebush. Planted in 1885, it is a Lady Banksia rose, covers more than 8,000 square feet and its trunk has a circumference of 12-feet! It's blossoms are white and in April when it blooms they say it makes the whole town of Tombstone smell like roses.
As 5 o'clock rolled in I hurried off to see the show at the OK-Corral. Upon getting there I found my way into an outdoor theater with bleachers on one side and a small stage set on the other. The story to be told was the same as I'd seen earlier, the gunfight at the OK-Corral. But this show explained more about what happened before the gun fight and why. An actor playing Doc Holliday served as the narrator of the show and waxed poetic about the events which were to unfold before us. All of the actors wore period costumes and played they parts well. I enjoyed the show but I think it was too melodramatic and rather slow moving. Perhaps I was just impatient because I wanted to see the gun fight go down.
Following the show at the OK-Corral I took a trolley tour of Tombstone. The tour lasted about 30 minutes and took us all over town. Our tour guide was insightful and interesting unlike the typical guides who become monotone and boring after awhile. I enjoyed learning something of the history of Tombstone and the historic buildings around town. After the tour, I got off the trolley and I headed for home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment