Friday, March 24, 2006

peppertree fieldtrip

My friend Janette was gracious enough to provide me with a tour of her work today. She works for Peppertree a custom cabinetry shop headquartered in West Jordan, Utah. Peppertree was started in 1986 and specializes in quality residential cabinets for kitchen and bathroom, as well as fitted furniture. Janette has been working as a designer for Peppertree going on five years. She designs cabinets and furniture based around the needs of her clients.

Peppertree offers a complete selection of unique styles and cabinetry designs. Offerings range from very ornate and decorative to more contemporary designs. After the design phase cabinetry and furniture are built on-site. We had the opportunity to walk through the workshop during the tour and see some of the processes in action. Since I was a child I've had an interest in woodworking and I enjoyed seeing a professional cabinet shop in action. Following the construction phase cabinets and furniture are professionally installed by Peppertree.

In these days of factory produced furniture and overseas out-sourcing it was good to see a local company producing a quality product in America. Sure custom cabinetry comes at a considerable cost, Janette mentioned a low-end job might cost $20,000, but doesn't everything of quality come at a cost?

When I was in grade school I remember some of the field trips we went on. In second grade we toured a local bakery in Littlestown. Took several trips to Washington DC. And toured the National Aquarium and Baltimore Science Center. I miss the field trips we used to go on and the interesting places we had the opportunity to visit. So I've taken it upon myself to start going on some of my own trips.

No comments: