When I was living in Tucson this summer I became a member of the Pima Air & Space Museum. If you are a student you can become a member for only $20. The Museum is home to one of the largest collections of aircraft in the world. Besides some beautifully restored planes they have many historic photos and artifacts. Considering that regular admission to the Museum for adults runs a hefty $12, the student membership is a steal. But there is so much to see, there isn't much chance you'll explore everything in one visit. With a membership you can visit the Museum anytime you like. Along with that you get two free guest passes so you can invite some friends along.After the summer when I was back home and unpacking I found the two guest passes and threw them in the trash. I figured it wouldn't do me any good to hold onto them. But then I paused and pulled them from the waste receptacle where they lay. I thought maybe someone else could put them to use. So I surfed over to craiglist and listed the tickets in the "Free Stuff" section. I expected someone out there might want them. My posting on craiglist:
"When I became a member of the Pima Air & Space Museum I got two guest passes that will admit anyone to the Pima Air & Space Museum or the Titan Missile Museum for free. Normally admission is around $10 so that is a good deal. I am no longer living in Tucson so I'd have to mail you the passes. The passes don't expire until June 30 2008. If you would like them please email me. Thanks."
I wasn't prepared for the response I received. You should never, ever, underestimate people's love for free stuff. When I checked my email later that evening there were over 150 responses to my posting. I guess a lot of someone's wanted those tickets after all. It's a shame to think I almost tossed them without thinking.
Although it took some time I read every message. Most were interesting. Others weren't. Many of the responses were simple and to the point: "If they are still available, do let me know" OR "I am interested in the passes, so if they are still available let me know and I will e-mail you my address...thank you". These were the boring people.
Then there were the comics, intentional or not: "I would love them! My elderly father in law drives my elderly mother in law crazy and this would be a perfect outing for my husband to take him on. You would make 2 very old, 80 something people very happy!" That one made me laugh out loud.
Wives wrote in asking for the tickets so they could take their husbands: "I would love to have these for my husband - he's a HUGE history channel fan, especially if it's anything about planes." OR "I have live in Tucson for almost 17 years and have never gone, but would like to.
Please consider me for your passes, and I would use them as a 'date' for my husband and I-thanks"
But there was at least one husband who wrote in: "MY wife LOVES airplanes and this is the best excuse to take her there. "
Several messages I received were from mother's with airplane loving children. "I have five children and none of them have been there so ot would be nice to have them and take them there." OR "Wow what a great offer, my 10 year old LOVES going to the Air Museum, as he loves old planes, and anything military. I could assure you that these would be used on a great kid that will be very happy. My 2 year old loves the planes too. Of course if you do not have them previously committed to some one else."
Some people didn't seem to get it: "hello, u can put me on that list" Huh? What list?!
Then there were a few messages that tugged at my heart strings:
"HI. IF YOU STILL HAVE THE PASSES I WOULD LOVE TO GIVE THEM TO MY HUSBAND. HE HAS BEEN ASKING ME TO GO FOR OVER A YEAR, BUT THERE IS ALWAYS BILLS THAT COME UP, SO WE NEVER SEEM TO GO. IF YOU STILL THEM COULD YOU GIVE ME A CALL . THANKS"
OR
"Hi. The tickets are probably already claimed, if I know Tucson Craigslisters. Just in case, though, my boyfriend is really into planes and flying, but we are poor souls (I went back to school to become a middle school science teacher) and would greatly appreciate a nice afternoon out. Thanks for your time! p.s. Congratulations on successfully breaking orbit with fiery Tucson!"
I liked that comment about breaking orbit with Tucson. That was clever. Middle school science teacher indeed.
There was even one person who seemed to know more than they should: "I’D BE VERY INTERESTED IN YOUR QUESS PASSES, IF STILL AVAIL!!
THAT’S WAY COOL TO OFFER THEM UP…EVEN THOUGH YOU DON’T LIVE HERE ANYMORE. MOST PEOPLE WOULD JUST TOSS THEM OUT."
Toss them out? What do you take me for? :P
Here are some of the other messages I received: "Hello, My husband and I would like to go to the Pima Air & Space Museum. He and I tried earlier this year to go but when we arrived it was so hot outside and my son who just turned 4 wasn't interested in learning the history of the Planes and such at all. He just wanted to keep moving. So my husband and I have been talking about going back this fall without our son (let him get a little "Grandma" time in) and be able to enjoy what the museum has to offer. So we would be grateful if they were still available to have. Thanks."
"My friend is 63 and has never been and would love to go."
"Hi, My husband and I have lived in Tucson for two years and his background in the AirForce plus his avid interest in Airplanes is the reason for my responding. We are retired, fixed income and of course every little bit counts. If you have not already had a response would like very much to have them. If they are taken then thank you anyway for offering them. Very kind thing to do.
Thank you"
"They've most likely been sent to someone else at this point, but if not, I'd like them : )"
"I would LOVE them!!! My dad is coming down from Montana for a visit at the end of the month, and I'd love to take him to the Titan Missile Museum...he used to work on one when he was in the Air Force. I figured it would be a really cool way for my son to learn even more about it (if Grandpa was there teaching him first hand!!!) Thanks!!!"
"Hello. Me and my boyfriend (especially my boyfriend) are really interested in planes and stuff like that and I think he would really enjoy this! His birthday is coming up really soon (Oct. 12) So it would be a cool little bday present for him!"
"I've lived in Tucson since 1970 and have never been. I'd give it a try if you have the passes left."
"I would love the passes..i wanted to take my father for his birthday a couple of weeks ago ...and I caught walking pnemonia..I would really be thankfull..if they are still available"
There were just so many people interested in the tickets. How was I going to choose who deserved them? How would you decide? It made me wish I had more tickets... Originally I had planned to give the tickets to whoever responded to my posting first. But I couldn't do it. That would have been too easy. Maybe even unfair. Instead after reading through every message I narrowed it down. There were two people who I felt deserved the tickets the most. The cream of the crop. I choose the lady who tugged at my heart strings the most. Here is her message:
"HI. IF YOU STILL HAVE THE PASSES I WOULD LOVE TO GIVE THEM TO MY HUSBAND. HE HAS BEEN ASKING ME TO GO FOR OVER A YEAR, BUT THERE IS ALWAYS BILLS THAT COME UP, SO WE NEVER SEEM TO GO. IF YOU STILL THEM COULD YOU GIVE ME A CALL . THANKS"
What started as nothing more than wanting to give away some free tickets turned out to be an interesting social experiment.

No comments:
Post a Comment