This past week I spent a few days in the Southwest with my Grandpa Gaell and Uncle Braden. We explored what is considered "Indian Country", the Hopi and Navajo reservations of northeast Arizona and southern Utah. On the first night we stayed on the Hopi reservation at the Hopi Cultural Center. The next morning we explored the Hopi mesas, including First Mesa. On First Mesa we went on a guided tour of Walpi, the oldest village at First Mesa. Walpi was "established in 1690 when a village at the foot of the mesa, Koechaptevela, was abandoned out of fear of Spanish reprisals for the 1680 Pueblo Revolt." Photography is not permitted on the Hopi mesas, so I wasn't able to take any photographs of the village.We stayed on the Hopi and Navajo reservations. Explored Canyon du Chelly on a jeep tour and saw ancient Anasazi ruins and pictographs. We met the children of some Hopi potters my Grandpa knew many years ago. Saw some wonderful country and had a great time. When we returned to St. George I spent a couple of days in Zion National Park. I did some hiking in the canyon and went horse riding. It was my first experience riding a horse as an adult. I really enjoyed it. Overall I had a great vacation and enjoyed seeing some new country, meeting interesting people and spending time with my Grandpa.

No comments:
Post a Comment